The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

Janil Brown, deemed the best shot putter in Palm Beach County, practices his technique for districts. Brown claims that shot put is only as hard as you make it.

Janil Brown, deemed the best shot putter in Palm Beach County, practices his technique for districts. Brown claims that shot put is only as hard as you make it."

Photo courtesy of Angelina Taillant

Photo courtesy of Angelina Taillant

Angelina Taillant, Staff Writer

Dwyer High School’s shot put team is advancing to districts on April 18 at 1 PM. The team has nine throwers overall, but only three boys and four girls qualified for Districts. 

Shot-put is an athletic contest in which a heavy round ball is thrown as far as possible into an open field. The individual has to throw the ball from the shoulder as far as he or she can, demonstrating strength, difficult kinds of technique, and impressive skill in order to be able to throw the ball several feet into the field. This sport has been a part of the modern Olympics since 1896.

Sophomore Sergio Sartor gave some insight on the team’s training process: “Training mostly includes running, weights, and doing a lot of the same movements with the ball or disc, but we also train with nothing in our hands to make sure we have the right form down.”

However, Coach Erik Hansen reveals that there is more to training than what meets the eye; he admits that he prefers to focus on work outs that help with technique, such as short sprints and tire flips. “Once they have some of the basics figured out I begin to add new wrinkles to throwing shot or disc. The kids are always surprised by what little tricks I know to help them throw further.” Coach Hansen gives credit to his former high school coach, Pat Adams.

The team had fundraisers earlier in the season. The girl shot put team fundraised at Publix. Coach Carey, who teaches Exceptional Student Education, organized the whole thing.

Sophomore Janil Brown, who is currently first in the county, is excited for districts. Brown is willing to give it his all since he “loves the challenge”, and is very fond of Coach Hanson. “I couldn’t do it without my coach and team behind my back. Brown also revealed that he felt slightly pressured when Coach Hansen revealed that if the team did not make it to regionals, then the season would be coming to a close.

The shot put districts competition will be held at South Fork High School, and if Dwyer emerges victorious, the team will head to regionals down in Miami.

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

• Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America