The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Faith Fox, Staff Writer

On Friday April 7, Dwyer’s Theatre Club had their first public performance since being revived last school year. The club tried to do this last year, but it didn’t have enough of a foundation or experience with preparing a production to have one prepared in time. However, last year’s club was successful in laying down that necessary foundation and giving the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen, a chance to gain enough experience to pursue a production this year.

Members of the club not only performed the play, they also wrote their own. Unsatisfied with the way most productions focused on a few characters, President Sabrina Valenti took it upon herself to write her own play for the club to perform. Valenti wanted to give all of the club members a chance to have their moment in the spotlight with a part tailored to each of their individual talents. The play was set in a café which was hosting an open mic night. Club members worked together to decide what their character would be, and what they would perform for the “open mic night” (or whether their character would perform at all). Evidently, this paid off because Junior Emma Ruiz picked up on it, commenting that the way Sabrina Valenti “was able to incorporate some of the actors’ own personalities in with their respective characters was beautiful, and allowed for amore connected cast over all.” Valenti worked long and hard to weave all of the characters and performances into a cohesive story that would make sense and be entertaining enough to watch both during and between each of the “performances.”

“I wanted to be able to showcase how many talents these students have. I’m amazed every time I’m in a room with these kids,” Valenti shared.

Many of the actors and actresses had doubts about whether the production would be able to come together smoothly and effectively. The first time the entire cast was present to go through the whole play was the day before the scheduled performance. Students’ seemingly unpreparedness and inconsistent attendance, coupled with last year’s shortcomings, left students nervous.

However, the performance went off without a hitch. All the performers remembered their lines and their cues resulting in a fantastic performance. Durning the play, two quarreling schools came to terms with each other, a nervous wreck was forced into performing and gained confidence, a peaceful hippie nearly fought a mime, and a “player” learned his lesson. The “performances” included singing “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” from Grease, “Popular” from Wicked, and “Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato; interpretive dancing to “One Step at a Time” by Jordin Sparks; playing “River Flows in You” by Yiruma on the piano; excerpts from the plays Tales from the Arabian Mice by Will Averill, and Baby with the Bathwater by  Christopher Durang; and dramatic readings of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Suess, Looking For Alaska by John Green, “Sonnet 18” by William Shakespeare, “Ode on a Grecian Urn” by John Keats, and Romeo’s monologue from Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (performed twice).

Club members and sponsors agreed that the final performance was the best performance they’d ever had; extra parts were improvised and added which improved the play for the actors and audience.

One of the club’s sponsors, Nathan Stubbs, was pleasantly surprised by the amount of work club members were able to do, and the final result of the performance: “Something really special happened Friday night in the auditorium and I’m so glad I was there to see it.”

An Open Mic Night to Remember