The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Faith Fox, Staff Writer

Although Christmas is probably the most in-your-face holiday, it is not the only religious holiday prevalent in American society. It’s hard not to realize that Easter is coming soon, especially when schools are not in session for Good Friday.

According to Statista, 80.6 percent of Americans celebrated Easter in 2016, which has remained relatively constant throughout the past ten years. Fewer people tend to celebrate Good Friday in comparison with Easter, though students still get the day off. Conversely, Passover, a Jewish holiday occurring around the same time as Easter, is largely ignored by advertisers, and the school board. Since a seder (a special meal) is traditionally held on the first one to two nights of Passover, and Passover started on a Monday this year, families may have had to celebrate the holiday during the previous weekend, or take off of school or work in order to properly celebrate. While most people appreciate a day off, whether they celebrate Good Friday or not, it is still concerning that some religions don’t get the same consideration as others.

Shopping centers throughout the United States give shoppers the opportunity to take pictures with “The Easter Bunny.” However many children have seen rabbits in pet stores, in the wild, or on television and know that bunnies tend to be much smaller than an adult human being. While “Santa Claus” is somewhat believable, the large, unblinking rabbit is much harder to mistake for an actual bunny. Parents usually teach their children “don’t talk to strangers,” but for some reason, those ideals are forgotten and children are encouraged to go up to this masked stranger and take pictures while sitting on their lap.

Rabbits and eggs are often associated with spring and rebirth, which is fitting for the holiday’s meaning and time of year; however it is unclear why the Easter Bunny goes around hiding eggs for children to find. Rabbits are mammals and therefore do not lay eggs, so one may ask where these eggs are coming from. Another puzzling thought is why children would want to find hard-boiled eggs and what they would do with all of them. Substituting the eggs with chocolate and candies eliminates this problem, but real eggs are still often used and decorated in celebration of Easter. Since most Easter egg hunts involve some kind of food, not finding all of the eggs could result in a problem: bugs or wild animals may be attracted to the food.

Besides eating food off the ground, which is okay on Easter for some reason, some people put paint or dye on their food as well. Not only does a small mammal have eggs, it also paints and decorates them before leaving them on the ground. It is apparently accepted that after doing all this work, the rabbit no longer wants the eggs it would have worked hard to gather, decorate, and hide, and it is okay to take the rabbit’s eggs. After all, what would a rabbit want eggs for anyway?

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

• No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter