The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Photo courtesy of www.awesomenesstv.com

Photo courtesy of www.awesomenesstv.com

Olivia Sommerer, Staff Writer

It’s no doubt Netflix is one of the most successful companies, providing people with binge worthy TV shows and instant movies. What would people do without it? It knocked Blockbuster out of the park and made entertainment easier and quicker to enjoy.

If you are bored watching the same episodes, or looking for movies to watch with a big bag of “Boom Chicka Pop” popcorn, then here are the must watches of 2017 on Netflix:

Must Watch TV Shows:

13 Reasons Why – The new Netflix original series based off the book by Jay Asher. The show follows teenager, Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette) and his journey to uncover the mystery behind his classmate and crush Hannah’s (Kathrine Langford), suicide. Two weeks after Hannah takes her life, Clay receives a package on his doorstep containing 13 audio cassettes created by Hannah. She then explains her reasoning behind her decision, not knowing he was one of them. As he uncovers the mystery, secrets come out about Hannah and her former classmates. The shows first season is on Netflix and fans are currently awaiting the release of season 2.

The Fosters – Back in 2013, ABC Family (Now Freeform) released a groundbreaking television show that centered around two moms raising a family of adopted, foster, and biological children. Callie Jacob (Maia Mitchell) is a 16 year old foster kid, hardened from being in the foster care system, is in juvenile detention when she is placed with one of the mothers, Lena Foster (Sherri Saum). Lena takes Callie into the Fosters home and introduces her to the family. Stef Foster (Terri Polo) is Lena’s wife who has a biological son, Brandon Foster (David Lambert) from her previous marriage. They adopted Jesus and Mariana Foster (Jake T. Austin in seasons 1-2, Noah Centineo seasons 3-current) (Cierra Ramirez). The series focus is about family and the drama that comes with the love of a family. The show’s first 4 seasons are on Netflix, and is currently airing the rest of season 4 on Freeform on Tuesday nights at 8/9c.

Five Came Back – During World War II, film makers in Hollywood risk their lives to document the war and show how the make-believe world changed the war. Featuring interviews with top directors such as, Steven Spielberg and narrated by Meryl Streep, the three part documentary tells the daring story of five film makers who were serving in world war while capturing moments that wouldn’t be seen otherwise. The effect World War II had on Frank Capra, John Ford, John Huston, George Stevens and William Wyler is highlighted, changing the way people see the films they made. This series is based on the novel by Mark Harris and is a recommendation for those who respect film and dedication of artists.

Must Watch Movies:

Colonia – In 1973 Chile, Daniel (Daniel Brul) and Lena (Emma Watson), a young German couple, get caught up in a Chilean military coup when protestors against President Salvador Allende are getting captured by the military under General Augusto Pinochet. When Daniel is taken by Pinochet’s secret police DINA, Lena tries to find him. She finds out he’s headed to “Colonia Dignidad”, which presents itself as a charitable organization run by Paul Schafer. Lena joins the organization to rescue her boyfriend when she quickly realizes it is a cult and that no one has ever escaped. Lena goes through experiences similar to those in concentration camps during WWII. It’s based on a true story.

Spotlight – The 2015 film uncovers the Boston Globe’s 2001 investigation of a Catholic Church’s cover-up of sexual misconduct. Actors Mark Rufulo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, and Liev Schreiber, play editors during the time of the scandal. Viewers get an inside glimpse of the writers’ investigation as well as the troubles faced along the way. The “Spotlight” team works to uncover the truths of a decades-ago scandal where John Geoghan, a priest, was accused of molesting more than 80 boys. The film is highly educational for those interested and tells a story which was once hidden.

The Big Short – The financial drama, which takes place during 2008, tells the story of a few remarkable people who foresaw the ’08 financial crisis. The movie follows men who take on the task of predicting the house market collapse. The men are portrayed by Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell, and Christian Bale. Bale’s character bets against the housing market by throwing over $1 billion of his investors’ money which get the attention of the rest of the opportunists. All together, they take advantage of America’s economic collapse which comes with depression, heartache, and risks along the way.

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

• Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America

Netflix Most Watched in 2017