The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

The Dwyer Boys' Lacrosse team line up against Benjamin right before the start of the game for its mid-season play off.

Photo courtesy of Be Noticed Productions

Evan Quattlebaum, Staff Writer

Wed., April 5th, the Dwyer men’s lacrosse team played against Jupiter High School. This game was the first game of the district finals. This year the district playoffs are held at Palm Beach Gardens High School. The team had played Jupiter earlier in the season, ending the game with a loss, 20-5. After that loss, the team pushed forward day in and day out to have a chance to change their outcome when they met each other again in the finals.

The team was getting ready to play Benjamin the first game of playoffs but Benjamin pulled out an upset win against Jupiter, which allowed them to take the #1, and then proceed to the tournament. Dwyer put in quick adjustments and got ready for the rivalry game. The team lost to Jupiter 14-1 which is not at all what the Dwyer’s lacrosse team was expecting. Coach Tom Dean mentions, “When it comes down to it, both teams are equal in skill and athleticism. The big game changer is that Jupiter has about 40 players on their varsity roster as to us having about 20, we get tired”. This loss was nothing to be happy about but the season overall was a major success. This year the team held one of the best winning records in about five years. Three years ago, the team went 5-11, last year the team went 8-8, and this year the team made it to 11-5.

The Dwyer program is making gains and in a fast pace. The upcoming freshmen are the ones making a difference, in order to keep a constant flow of good lacrosse players to ensure future Dwyer lacrosse success. This year, the lacrosse team only lost three seniors but these seniors were extremely important to the team nonetheless. Seniors Sean Haymes, Reid Quattlebaum, and Sean Thompson made the most of their last game, playing as the Dwyer panthers and enjoyed it, despite the loss.

Reid Quattlebaum spoke on his final game, “I’m not even mad about this loss, I’m going out with a smile on my face because this is my last game with an amazing group of guys that I will never play with again, so I’m going to enjoy these last few moments”.

In the future, Reid will continue with his lacrosse career to play at Vassar College in New York, Sean Thompson will continue his career to play at Kaiser University, and Sean Haymes will not be playing lacrosse in college but mentions that he will miss the game. This season was a success despite some setbacks and it was overall a great experience for the team as the season ends.

• Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America