The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Photo courtesy of www.harpersbazaar.com

Photo courtesy of www.harpersbazaar.com

Alianna Jones, Staff Writer

Kendall Jenner established her role as a new Pepsi spokesperson to fans when the 21 year-old model released her official advertisement on Tuesday, April 4. Jenner instantaneously encountered an abundance of global criticism, as did the soft drink company. In the ad, Jenner is displayed partaking in a photo shoot and abruptly directs her attention to an assembly of activists. Jenner then decides to abandon the photo shoot and participate in the protest. It’s not evident what the beaming activists are enraged about, the only guidelines being their signs which read “peace”, “love”, and “join the conversation”. Despite this, Jenner chooses to participate in the protest, signaled into the crowd by an activist playing the cello. The break-dancing activists are a distant representation from the recent devastating demonstrations that continue to emerge across the United States. In the PepsiCo.Inc ad, the activists appear ecstatic to protest about a subject the audience cannot decipher for the entire duration of the ad. Following the moment, Jenner fist-bumps an assumed activist, before grasping a can of Pepsi from an ice bucket.

Following the ad’s high point comes the scene that formulated a public disturbance across the United States: Jenner emerges at the front line of the protest, directly in front of multiple police officers. She then walks in the direction of a policeman who displays a neutral facial expression until he smiles after she offers him a can of Pepsi.

Consequently, the Pepsi Company’s ad was rapidly blamed of appropriating the Black Lives Matter movement and utilizing a controversial civil rights matter to enhance their brand’s sales. Moreover, the commercial was accused by critics that their ad degraded a significant photograph of Ieshia Evans, a 28-year-old nurse who was incarcerated by law enforcement while protesting in Baton Rouge, Louisiana following the death of Alton Sterling who was fatally shot by the police force.

“This ad trivializes the urgency of the issues and it diminishes the seriousness and the gravity of why we got into the street in the first place,” activist DeRay McKesson told NBC News correspondent Gabe Gutierrez.

McKesson, who protested in Ferguson after the death of Michael Brown, also let her voice be heard against the debated ad and pleads for a public apology from the brand. “Pepsi didn’t apologize to all of the people who have been protesting for two years, didn’t apologize to the people who dedicated their lives and their time to these issues and to understand the urgency of them because in so many cases, there’s so much at stake including people’s lives,” he stated.

In relation, the ad provoked disapproval on social media from Bernice King, the youngest daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Bernice posted an image of her father engaging in a peaceful protest for civil rights to speak for mistreated citizens. The image displayed King being detained by a physical line of policemen and tweeted: “If only Daddy would have known about the power of #Pepsi.”

PepsiCo Inc. publically responded to King’s daughter Bernice via twitter, “We at Pepsi believe in the legacy of Dr. King & meant absolutely no disrespect to him & others who fight for justice.”

Pepsi mentioned the film, labeled “Jump In,” was shaped by PepsiCo’s in-house content creation arm, Creators League Studio. The company publically specified that the ad “features multiple lives, stories and emotional connections that show passion, joy, unbound and uninhibited moments.”

It was intended to “truly reflect today’s generation and what living for now looks like” and it described Jenner as someone who “exemplifies owning ‘Live for Now’ moments.”

Although, PepsiCo Inc. is not the first multinational brand to utilize political movements to enhance their company’s sales, the company faced dire consequences after not considering the possible issues.

• Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America