The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

Dwyer FBLA students pose at the state competition.

Photo courtesy of Brooke Golzbein

Photo courtesy of Brooke Golzbein

Faith Fox, Staff Writer

Over spring break, select students in Dwyer’s FBLA (Future Business Leader of America) chapter went to the state competition in Orlando. In order to reach the state level competition, they had to score well in the regional level of the competition. Students picked their competitive events and prepared for the competitions by studying resources, working on their projects, and practicing speeches. Over twenty Dwyer students scored well enough to continue on to the state level. Students from all over the state of Florida stayed at hotels surrounding the Orange County Convention Center for four days, and used the hotel’s conference rooms and ballrooms to hold the event competitions and ceremonies.

Students either had to make and present a project, make speeches, or take a written test, depending on which event they chose. Students who place in the top four of their category qualify for the FBLA national level competition. Hannah Buchsbaum placed fifth in Business Ethics for her presentation regarding businesses checking the social media accounts of their employees and applicants. Brooke Golzbein placed second in E-Business for the online “garage sale” she created, which qualified her for nationals. Golzbein “was completely shocked [that she] placed so high,” especially since she ended up beating the competitors from Gardens High School which she had lost to in the district level. Taking advantage of the FBLA policy, Golzbein is not in the Finance Academy at Dwyer; she is in the IB program which limits the classes she has the opportunity to take. Pamela Gores, who took a written test for the Journalism category, won first place in the state. Gores and Golzbein plan to represent Florida and Dwyer High School at the national level of the competition in California.

“Since this was my last year, I didn’t expect to get this far, but now that I have I’m beyond excited to be advancing to the next level,” Gores exclaimed.

Along with testing and awards ceremonies, FBLA members elected their Florida FBLA board members for the 2017-2018 school year. Among the positions available were Regions I, II, IV, and V Vice Presidents, State Parliamentarian, State Reporter, State Secretary, and State President. Kyle Johnson, the 2016-2017 State President, was much beloved and many students were sad to see him leave. During his final speech as State President, Johnson asked FBLA members to stand up and take a step to the right. Johnson then reminded the students of last year when he first asked them to do this and reflected on how he had helped FBLA “move in the right direction.” Although Johnson will be missed, many students are optimistic about new State President Zachary Sahin. Emily Miller, a sophomore in FBLA, shared her thoughts. “I think that the new officers are very energetic and will definitely be able to bring new life to the organization over the next year which is absolutely fantastic.” Miller went on to say that she thinks the new leadership will help Florida’s FBLA modernize, which is important in the world of business.

Congratulations to all of the FBLA students who went to states, and good luck to Pamela Gores and Brooke Golzbein at Nationals.

• Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America