The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Photo courtesy of www.film.geourdu.com.

Photo courtesy of www.film.geourdu.com.

Angelina Taillant, Staff Writer

“Beauty and the Beast” was released March 16, 2017 in the U.S. and is at the top of the charts. Bill Condon, the director of the movie, delivered a spectacular film with amazing character development by the actors, a great plot that made the audience sit at the edge of their seats, and most importantly, life lessons to adults and young people all around the world.

According to Condon, “Beauty and the Beast” refers to an amazing story about a girl who learns to see the beauty within and strive for more in life. “Beauty and the Beast” is an enticing film that has reached the top of the charts all around the world; it is the highest-grossing film in 2017 thus far. The famous story takes place in a small town in Europe, where a girl named Belle desires more than her provincial life and what society expects of her. In an unexpected turn of events, she is taken and locked away in a tower by a hideous Beast, where she selflessly trades places with her father. Belle is prisoner in the large, cursed castle and, and she is trapped with the Beast, who does not know how to control his temper. The Beast’s castle is enchanted; a lot of objects in the castle come to life and Belle befriends them. As the plot moves along, the Beast is proven to be kind and educated towards Belle, and they both end up falling in love with each other.

“Beauty and the Beast” was originally a book written by French novelist Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont in 1780, and was later portrayed as a cartoon by Walt Disney. However, Bill Condon’s film has taken the story to a whole new level. The movie itself is filmed as a musical, but it captures the meaning of the story and its many hidden life lessons splendidly.

Belle, the courageous protagonist played by none other than Emma Watson, blew her audience out of the water with her singing and acting. Watson had never done a musical film in her life and she proved to be more than worthy of the lead role in the film. Gaston, the self-involved and narcissistic lunatic that has his heart set on marrying Belle, is played by Luke Evans. Evans managed to portray the character perfectly since the audience was completely submerged in his outstanding performance, and even though Gaston is the antagonist in the film, viewers see the true purpose and understand the character. Josh Gad plays LeFou, Gaston’s ‘sidekick’. Mrs. Potts, the enchanted teapot in the castle, is portrayed by Emma Thompson, and the Beast is played by Dan Stevens.

The film captures viewers and contains many lessons since it is different from any fairy tale ever written. Emma Watson admitted to her fans that one of the reasons she agreed to do the film was because it is one of the only stories that shows what true beauty looks like, and how women should always strive for more and not be put down by society. “Beauty and the Beast” is the only fairy tale where the woman saves the man, since at the end, the Beast is turned into a prince thanks to Belle’s true love. In other fairy tales, the princess is typically helpless while the prince saves the day. Most of the time the princess is unconscious, such as in “Sleeping Beauty” and “Snow White”. The prince saves the princess heroically, but the female often does not do anything but stand there waiting to be saved. “Beauty and the Beast”, however, proved to be different since it highlights women empowerment, shows how women are not helpless against men, and how women have the power to do anything their heart desires.

The soundtrack was conducted by Alan Menken. The movie kept original songs from the Disney version, such as “Belle”, “Gaston”, “Be Our Guest”, “Beauty and the Beast”, “Something There”, and many more. These songs were sung by the actors themselves, and for Emma Watson, this was her first musical endeavor. Famous French singer Celine Dion, who originally wrote and sung the song “Beauty and the Beast” in the Disney movie, wrote a new song specifically for the revamped movie called “How Does a Moment Last Forever”, which is skyrocketing on iTunes.

Overall, “Beauty and the Beast”, both book and movie, teaches audiences several things: the importance of not reading a book by its cover, that it’s okay to want more, if you don’t respect yourself no one will do it for you, you are more than what you’re made of, and most importantly, beauty lies within.

• “Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

Opinion

Being Queer in Trump’s America