The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

New Teacher Takes over AICE General Papers

Photo courtesy of Evan Quattlebaum

Photo courtesy of Evan Quattlebaum

Evan Quattlebaum, Staff Writer

Mrs. Augustine is a new teacher here at Dwyer. She is teaching AICE General Papers. Mrs. Whitney, the previous teacher, showed her the ropes, and she is excited and determined to help the class succeed and pass their AICE exam in the hopes of receiving college credit. Mrs. Whitney’s husband started a successful business, and she thinks that she needs to spend more time with her children, regardless of how much she loves to teach. This was Mrs. Whitney’s first year teaching AICE General Papers, but she has been teaching English at Dwyer for many years and has enjoyed every second. This is no easy switch for her, but she knows that her job is going into the right hands with Mrs. Augustine. The position requires a great deal on the “five concepts”. These concepts are government/politics, health/technology, leisure, social/cultural, and environmental.

Mrs. Augustine is hoping to develop student’s knowledge on the “five concepts” so they can more effectively defend their positions. She is making sure that all of the students know how to write all kinds of essays, such as discursive, persuasive, and argumentative. When the written portion of the test at the end of the year comes, the students will be able to easily write whatever is required. She is happy to have the position as she stated, “I am thrilled. I love that in AICE General Paper we will have the opportunity to explore topics ranging from science and math, all the way to literature and the arts. I have already had the pleasure of reading some excellent essays and my new students are on a great path. I am also teaching tenth grade English which I am super excited about. I have no doubt this year we will teach each other, learn, laugh and grow together. The opportunity to get to know and work with my new students for the last few weeks has been a very rewarding experience. Mrs. Whitney, the English Department, Administration, and all of the Dwyer family have made me feel at home and very welcome.”

Being new to high school teaching is never easy. It requires extreme patience and a perfect mix of rigorous and fun work. Mrs. Augustine has a daughter at Jupiter High School, so this is not her first time handling high school kids and their attitudes, especially in regards to a class like AICE General Papers that requires a high level of patience. She has the right spirits to succeed at the position, and that will show at the end of the year with her students getting college credit.

• New Teacher Takes over AICE General Papers

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters