The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Powell+poses+with+her+golf+team+before+being+congratulated+with+her+FIU+scholarship.++
Powell poses with her golf team before being congratulated with her FIU scholarship.

Allison Brañas, Editor

Senior Gabi Powell is a well-rounded athlete. As a matter of fact, she’s one of Dwyer’s golf players. On Nov.11, Powell signed a scholarship with Florida International University (FIU) to play golf.

“I didn’t expect to get this scholarship or go to as big of a school because I haven’t played as long as the other girls but, I did put in the hard work and it definitely paid off,” Powell said.

Powell began playing golf for Dwyer two and a half years ago. She started the summer prior to her sophomore year and has only played three seasons. Since then, she’s been dedicated to the sport and practices, “every single day of the week”. Her time playing golf has taught her many things such as how to be a leader for her golf team and how to keep her teammates  motivated. Powell follows the motto of “not giving up on your dreams, if you work hard enough for what you want, you will get it”. She also recommends younger golfers to go by the same saying.

Golf Coach Nancy Steele thinks of Powell as a go-getter, “Gabi has incredibly high expectations for herself especially for her first match against two very strong players from Jupiter.  She wanted to play as well as them but just hadn’t had enough lessons or experience.  She would get extremely upset if she didn’t hit well.  Her growth has been in her attitude, how she handles herself on the course and how she preserves.”

Now that the season has ended (in Oct.) with Powell’s average of 39 for nine hole matches, she plans on continuing her studies and focusing on school. Additionally, Powell wants to use her scholarship and its benefits, such as free tutoring for student athletes, to the fullest. She will also take full advantage of golf when it’s time for her to start her years at FIU.

“I was just extremely blessed and very happy, I knew that I could do this well and the faith I had in God and all my family helped me through it.”

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

• Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Dwyer Golfer Makes Her Way to the Top