The student news site of W.T. Dwyer High School

The Panther Paradigm

Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Dwyer%27s+Drama+Club+and+Psychology+Club+both+participated+in+The+Elk%27s+Lodge+haunted+house+event+this+year+on+Oct.+28.+Drama+Club+placed+fourth%2C+and+psychology+club+followed+with+fifth.+
Dwyer's Drama Club and Psychology Club both participated in The Elk's Lodge haunted house event this year on Oct. 28. Drama Club placed fourth, and psychology club followed with fifth.

Faith Fox, Staff Writer

Last school year, Dwyer’s Drama Club was reinstated after having disappeared due to the former drama teacher retiring. Thanks to dedicated students and Steve Enright from Bob Carter’s Actor’s Workshop & Repertory Company, the club was brought back and now continues for its second year, led by Kathleen Kenny and Nate Stubbs from the same company.

The first project the club worked on was the Elk’s Lodge Haunted House back in October 2015. The Elk’s Lodge split up their building into different sections and allowed different clubs to fill their section with whatever they wanted to. Guests could then walk past the sections and vote for which one they liked the most. Dwyer’s Drama Club won third place out of 13 groups in 2015 and fourth place out of 15 groups in 2016. Last year, the club worked on a production called The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged, a satirical play based on all of Shakespeare’s work. They intended to perform it for the school at the end of the school year. Unfortunately, the club was not well established and did not have the resources to bring their goal to fruition.

Currently, members are working on separate, smaller pieces by themselves, or in small groups. The club intends to put these pieces together later in the year. They spend club time practicing the pieces and developing them into something enjoyable for both the actors and the audience.

The club helps develop the acting skills of its members like keying in to the other actors, being able to develop a character, and thinking quickly while under pressure. Besides acting, the club focuses on other aspects of a production, like set design, costuming, directing, makeup, and how to work together with the other cast members to efficiently function as a team. “Drama helped me come out of the shell I was hidden so deeply in,” Zoë Church, the club’s historian, said. For Church and others, Drama Club has served as a place to make friends and to help conquer fears like public speaking.

According to the current president of the club, Sabrina Valenti,  “I’m not president because I’m any better than any [of the other] members, but because of my passion and respect for the art.” She was part of another theatre club before she came to Dwyer, and was one of the founding members of Dwyer’s own Drama Club. The club stresses that potential members don’t have to have any skills when joining, and that they should not worry about messing up or being good enough. Valenti added that, “I joined a theatre club because I knew that it would be a safe environment where I would be able to learn and grow.” Another founding member, Isabel Moyer, agreed, saying “Drama is a place where people can be themselves with no fear of judgment.”

To anyone considering joining Drama Club, Nia Banks, a member who joined the Drama Club this year, said “Drama Club is a place where everyone is welcomed with open arms, literally. Everyone involved has become a second family [to me] and more people should experience it.”

Dwyer’s Drama Club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school from 2:45 to 4:45 in room 2-208. For more information, visit Dwyer Drama Club’s social media: Instagram @dwyerdramaclub, Facebook @dramadwyer.

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Sports

Dwyer Shot Put Takes a Chance at Victory

• News

An Open Mic Night to Remember

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Opinion

No Bunny Knows: Thoughts about Easter

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

A & E

Netflix Most Watched in 2017

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Sports

Dwyer Boy’s Lacrosse Season Comes to an End

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

News

Pepsi Removes Controversial Ad After Negative Response

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Opinion

What Really Matters to Colleges?

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

Opinion

The True “Benefits” of Energy Drinks

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

News

Dwyer FBLA Takes a Step in the Right Direction at States

• Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists

A & E

“Beauty and the Beast” Enchants Theaters

Dwyer’s Drama Club: Yes, It Exists